Friday, November 3, 2017

Reading Notes: Extra Credit, Nursery Rhymes

Reading Notes

For the extra credit reading I really wanted to read something that was different than everything I have seen up to this point. I have enjoyed exploring tales from Egypt, folklore from Native Americans, and fables from Africa, but I thought it would be fun to read something that may be more familiar. When I was little, I was read and sung many nursery rhymes, so it seemed like the Nursery Rhyme unit could be both familiar like Little Bo Peep and even surprising like The Lion and the Unicorn. 

Little Bo Peep

Little Bo Peep is a rhyme that I heard many times as a child and it is about a girl who has sheep that get lost, she seeks them out but when she found them they had no tails. I think it could be fun to retell this story from her perspective! This could be the origin story of Little Bo Peep.

The Lion and the Unicorn

One nursery rhyme that I was unfamiliar with was The Lion and the Unicorn. This short rhyme was about a lion and a unicorn fighting for the crown, and the lion beat the unicorn around a village. It seemed as though in the rhyme the villagers did not want their town being destroyed so they offered the lion and unicorn bread to leave. I think it would be fun to retell this story since I would have the opportunity to add so much to it. When I read this rhyme I thought of instead of a literal lion and unicorn it could mean two armies that have a lion and a unicorn as their banner. This of course reminded me of Game of Thrones and since I am such a nerd it would be amazing to add to the story of Game of Thrones. Maybe there is an old tale about a family, the unicorns, that aren't around anymore because the lions beat them so badly!

File:Belgium football lion crest.png
(Lion Crest, credit to Kareldorado, link)







Bibliography


The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang and Illustrated by L. Leslie Brooke.  link



No comments:

Post a Comment