Sunday, November 26, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: Tattercoats to Pharisee and the Publican

Wikipedia Trail

So this week I decided to try out the the Wikipedia trail extra credit assignment. I wish that I had tried this assignment sooner because it actually turned out being really interesting. Anyways for this assignment I started by looking up the term "gooseherd" on Wikipedia because it was in the story,Tattercoats, that was in my reading for the week and I had never heard of a goose herder. This search led me to the actual Wikipedia page for tattercoats.

Tattercoats Page

The page about Tattercoats basically gave a synopsis of the original story that was written by Joseph Jacobs. Since this name was familiar from all of the reading I decided to go to his Wikipedia page next.

Joseph Jacobs

On this page, I learned about the life of Joseph Jacobs and how he has done extensive work writing folklore. From this page I chose to go to the page on "publicans" because I wasn't exactly sure what it meant and Joseph Jacob's father held that position.

Publican

On this page I learned that a publican was someone who collected taxes, which is not what I expected at all. I also found out that in the Jesus told the story of the Pharisee and the Publican so this is where I went next.

Pharisee and the Publican

On this final page I found out more about this biblical story. The story actually had a great moral that I really enjoyed. The moral of the story was to be humble and to not depend on pride to survive.

File:Tissot The Pharisee and the publican Brooklyn.jpg
(Pharisee and Publican: Credit to James Tisso)

No comments:

Post a Comment